Starting secondary school is an exciting time, but it can also feel quite daunting. It’s natural to feel nervous on your first day and you can guarantee that everyone else will be feeling just the same.
We work very closely with your primary schools to ensure the transition is as smooth as possible. We are planning visits to many of your schools prior to September and we will be inviting you here on Tuesday 5 July so you can all experience what it feels like to be part of our school.
Please see the below information, which will help to guide you through this time of transition.
Transition Day is Tuesday 5 July 8:30am - 2:45pm.
Please see the below letter for further information.
Here's a checklist for you to use to help prepare both you and your child for the transition from Year 6 to Year 7:
- Encourage your child to come along to Transition Day. It will be a great chance to meet the other students in their year group and tutor group. They will also meet all the other colleagues who are responsible for Year 7.
- We recommend that students have an alarm clock, or set an alarm on their phone. Secondary school starts a little bit earlier than primary school.
- Help your child to work out their route to school; encourage them to practise it and time it so that they know exactly where to go and when to leave in the mornings.
- Make sure that they have a strong bag for all their books.
- Buy the new school uniform and PE Kit. Try them on and label everything clearly with the student's name.
- Stock up on equipment and stationery.
- Make sure that your child knows when school starts and finishes.
- Think about the end of the day - how will your child get home?
- Finally encourage your child to read. Here we have a whole school focus on literacy and reading.
We look forward to seeing you very soon!
Stronger Together Parents' and Carers Forum Transition Coffee Morning
Thursday 23 June 10:30am - 12:10pm
Tuesday 5 July 8:30am - 2:45pm
New Year 7 Parents' Evening
Tuesday 5 July 6-8pm
July/August - details to follow
First day of term
Wednesday 7 September
Summer School 2021
We hosted a summer school from Tuesday 31 August to Friday 3 September 2021 to support student transition to secondary school. The main focus of the sessions was the development of numeracy and literacy skills through fun and engaging activities. We also promoted the love of reading and creative activities.
Details about this Summer School 2022 will follow shortly so please watch this space.
Please view the report below from last year:
If you have any questions please don’t hesitate to contact us at: email@example.com
In the meantime, take care and our sincere best wishes to you all,
The Transition Team at Batley Girls’ High School