Starting secondary school is an exciting time, but it can also feel quite daunting. It’s natural to feel nervous on your first day and you can guarantee that everyone else will be feeling just the same.
We work very closely with your primary schools to ensure the transition is as smooth as possible. We are planning visits to many of your schools prior to September and we will be inviting you here on Tuesday 2 July 2024 so you can all experience what it feels like to be part of our school.
Here's a checklist for you to use to help prepare both you and your child for the transition from Year 6 to Year 7:
- Encourage your child to come along to Transition Day. It will be a great chance to meet the other students in their year group and tutor group. They will also meet all the other colleagues who are responsible for Year 7.
- We recommend that students have an alarm clock, or set an alarm on their phone. Secondary school starts a little bit earlier than primary school.
- Help your child to work out their route to school; encourage them to practise it and time it so that they know exactly where to go and when to leave in the mornings.
- Make sure that they have a strong bag for all their books.
- Buy the new school uniform and PE Kit. Try them on and label everything clearly with the student's name.
- Stock up on equipment and stationery.
- Make sure that your child knows when school starts and finishes.
- Think about the end of the day - how will your child get home?
- Finally encourage your child to read. Here we have a whole school focus on literacy and reading.
If you have any questions please don’t hesitate to contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org